Installing a Driveway / Culvert

If you are looking to install a new driveway culvert or replace an existing driveway culvert, please review the below rules, and regulations.

  1. A 911 address is required to secure a permit. To get this, call 985-747-0911.
  2. Contact the Permit Office to secure a permit, which is required for for new or replacement culverts placed in parish roadside ditches. You can call the Hammond Permit Office at (985) 542-2117, the Amite Permit Office at (985) 748-2024, or CLICK HERE to apply for a permit online.
  3. Once a permit is secured, the Permit Department will send the permit via email to the Public Works Department to be distributed to the Road & Bridge Department, who will be sizing the culvert.
  4. Within 4 working days, the Road & Bridge Department will contact you with the correct driveway culvert size.
  5. Once you have purchased the culvert and it is on site, you are responsible for notifying the Road & Bridge Department at (985) 748-5759 or (985) 345-9466 to schedule the installation. NOTE: Installation generally takes up to 30 days from the date that the department is notified, weather permitting.

Some important information regarding driveway culvert installation and replacement:

  • The Road Department provides one (1) load of dirt, and NO additional material.
  • The Road Department does not return to maintain or dress up installed culverts following installation.
  • The minimum driveway culvert length is 20 feet and the maximum width is 30 feet. Culverts over 30 feet must follow requirements for subsurface drainage.
  • Subsurface drainage installation is the responsibility of the land owner. Tangipahoa Parish will only schedule to have the ditches cleaned out to grade before you have the subsurface drainage installed. Tangipahoa Parish does not provide installation or materials for subsurface drainage – the land owner is responsible for purchasing the culverts.  The land owner must contact the public works office to schedule an inspection before the subsurface drainage is covered.

Reference: T.P. ORDINANCE 17-13 MARCH 13, 2017