The Housing Choice Voucher Program provides assistance for low income families in the private rental market through the Housing Assistance Payments Program. Program participants are responsible for selecting their unit from the private rental market. Program participants usually pay no more than 30% of monthly adjusted income towards rent and utilities. The Housing Assistance Program subsidizes the balance of the rent to the property owner.
What are the requirements for my unit to be rented to an assisted family?
The unit must meet HUD Housing Quality Standards and the rent must be approvable within HUD Fair Market Rents and Market Comparable.
How do I list my property?
You may call the Tangipahoa Parish Government Housing Office and have the unit listed on our Available Units Listing. You may also advertise on GoSection8.com.
What must I do when a participant is interested in my property?
- You must screen the tenant. You may use any or all of the following screening options:
- Credit Check
- Landlord References
- Background Checks
- You should not discriminate. Discrimination includes any tenant selection based on race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, country of birth, handicap or familial status. The prohibition against discrimination based on familial status makes it illegal, in most circumstances, to refuse to allow children to live in a residential unit.
- You must complete a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) form.
- The unit must be inspected to ensure that it meets HUD Housing Quality Standards.
- After the unit passes inspection the landlord and tenant will enter into a lease for an initial term of one year.
- You may collect a security deposit not to exceed private practice, or in excess of amounts charged by the owner to unassisted tenants.
For more information please contact our office.