What to DO when a tornado is spotted...
(1) If you are home, go into an interior room, such as a closet or bedroom, away from windows, doors and outside walls. For extra protection get under a sturdy piece of furniture. Protect your head.
(2) If you are away from home take shelter in a steel frame or reinforced concrete building.
(3) If you are in a high-rise building go to a small interior room, or hallway, on the lowest floor possible.
What NOT do do when a tornado is spotted...
(1) Try to outdrive a tornado; they are erratic and move swiftly.
(2) Stay in a car or mobile home.
(3) Stay in a building with a wide roof span.
Tornadoes vary in intensity from a Gale tornado that has wind speeds of 40-72 mph to an Inconceivable tornado that has winds of 319-379 mph. To learn about tornado wind speeds click HERE to view the Fujita Scale.