Hazard Mitigation Grant | Tangipahoa Parish Government

Hazard Mitigation Grant

Following the March 2016 flood, Parish President Robby Miller encouraged residents interested in having their homes elevated to apply. Tangipahoa Parish received an allocation from the Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness of FEMA Hazard Mitigation Funds which was aimed at elevating and acquiring homes who have repeatedly flooded. Homes receiving the grant were required to be elevated to at least one foot above the base flood elevation. There is a 75% federal cost share and the homeowners are responsible for the remaining 25%. After the home is elevated, the homeowner is able to get better rates on flood insurance. These grants have been a huge success in Tangipahoa Parish.