Hurricane Laura Update - Wednesday August 26, 10:30am
Click HERE for the latest slides from the NWS for Hurricane Laura.
Here is an update concerning Hurricane Laura.
Changes from previous update:
- Hurricane Laura is becoming stronger
- Laura is forecast to continue strengthening to a category 4 hurricane as it moves across the Gulf today.
- It is forecast to make landfall as a major hurricane in SW LA or SE TX tonight
- Impacts will be greatest across SE LA and S MS beginning today through Thursday morning time frame
Possible storm surge inundation levels:
Morgan City to MS River: 4-7 ft inundation possible
MS River to Ocean Springs: 2-4 ft inundation possible
Lakes Pontchartrain and Maurepas: 2-4 ft inundation possible
Ocean Springs to AL Border: 1-3 ft possible
Expect low-lying, coastal roads to be flooded and a several could become impassable
Some areas will become cut off or inaccessible
Wind and Tornado:
- Sustained tropical storm force winds with higher gusts will be possible mainly across areas near and just east of the Atchafalaya River through tonight
- Elsewhere, tropical storm force gusts will be possible
- These winds could result in minor damage mainly to trees, powerlines, and weaker structures. A few trees may fall and block roadways or damage structures.
- A few tornadoes will be possible in the storm’s rain bands. Tornadoes in these situations are typically short-lived, but they move very quickly
A flash flood watch is in effect through 7pm Thusday
There is potential for heavy rainfall if/where any of Laura's outer bands track
Expect ponding of water in low lying areas and some potential for localized flash flooding
Additional Information and Resources:
NWS New Orleans Website: www.weather.gov/neworleans
NWS New Orleans DSS Website: http://www.weather.gov/lix/embrief
NWS New Orleans Tropical Page: https://www.weather.gov/srh/tropical?office=lix
River Gauges and Forecasts: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=lix
NWS New Orleans Facebook: www.facebook.com/NWSNewOrleans
NWS New Orleans Twitter: https://twitter.com/NWSNewOrleans
Online Severe Weather Reporting: https://www.weather.gov/lix/submit_storm_report
National Hurricane Center Website: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/