Hurricane Ida Update August 28, 2021 At 10 AM
Click HERE for an update concerning Hurricane Ida.
Changes from the last update:
- The hurricane watch has been canceled for all SW and coastal Mississippi counties
- Otherwise, no significant changes from the previous update.
- Hurricane Ida has emerged into the southeastern Gulf of Mexico and will continue northwest with significant strengthening expected as it crosses the Gulf of Mexico
- Final preparations should be rushed to completion today as tropical-storm-force conditions are possible along the coast beginning as early as tonight and spreading inland early Sunday morning.
This is a very dangerous storm and will bring life-threatening impacts.
- Major hurricane-force winds (>110mph) will be possible for portions of our area, including Metro New Orleans, Metro Baton Rouge, and all coastal Louisiana parishes
- Hurricane-force winds (>74mph) will be possible for our entire area and are likely across southeast Louisiana.
- Elsewhere, tropical-storm-force winds (>39mph) are likely.
- Significant and life-threatening storm surge is expected with peak inundation levels possibly reaching the following heights:
- 10-15ft of inundation from Morgan City of Mouth of the Mississippi River
- 7-11ft of inundation from Mouth of the MS River to Ocean Springs
- 4-7ft of inundation Ocean Springs to the Alabama border
- 4-7ft of inundation Lake Pontchartrain
- 3-5ft of inundation Lake Maurepas
- 8-16" of rain is possible across our forecast area with isolated higher amounts of 20" possible
- The heaviest rainfall is expected Sunday and Monday.
- There is a threat of weak/short-lived tornadoes across our entire forecast area.
The attached briefing highlights the threats associated with this system.
Additional Information and Resources:
NWS New Orleans Website: www.weather.gov/neworleans
NWS New Orleans DSS Website: http://www.weather.gov/lix/embrief
NWS New Orleans Tropical Page: https://www.weather.gov/srh/tropical?office=lix
River Gauges and Forecasts: http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=lix
NWS New Orleans Facebook: www.facebook.com/NWSNewOrleans
NWS New Orleans Twitter: https://twitter.com/NWSNewOrleans
Online Severe Weather Reporting: https://www.weather.gov/lix/submit_storm_report
National Hurricane Center Website: https:///www.nhc.noaa.gov
Next Update and Contact Information:
The next update will be following the 4 PM CDT NHC update, earlier if there are any significant changes.
If you have any questions in the interim or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us. We can be reached by phone at 504-522-7330 or 985-649-0429. Use extension 4 to speak with a forecaster. Alternatively, you can reach us by email by replying to this message or sending an email to email@example.com. Both methods will be delivered to the forecasters on shift at the office.
NWS New Orleans/Baton Rouge